Washington DC Police Patches
(Washington, D.C.) District of Columbia is the capital city of the USA.
- The White House, the Capitol, the Supreme Court, and many other government buildings are located in Washington, D.C.
- President George Washington chose the site as the future capital of the USA in 1791 (the French architect Pierre Charles L'Enfant designed the city)
Washington, D.C. became the nation's capital on June 11, 1800 (previously, the country had been governed from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania).
- The first President to live in Washington D.C. was John Adams; his family moved there in 1800.
- Nickname is the D.C.
The flag of Washington, D.C., was adopted in 1938.
- Since Washington, D.C., had no official flag, a commission was formed in 1920 to find a design.
- Headed by A. E. Dubois, the final design was chosen on October 15, 1938.
- The design was based on the shield from George Washington's family's coat of arms.